Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Easy Summer Salad Recipes

I'm really excited about a recent piece in the NYT, re: 101 easy summer salad recipes. I'm thinking it will be helpful starting next week when I can no longer use studying as an excuse for unhealthy eating.

A few that I think I'm trying first:

1) Cube watermelon and combine with tomato chunks, basil and basic vinaigrette. You can substitute peach for the watermelon or the tomato (but not both, O.K.?). You can also add bacon [don't worry, I will not be adding bacon] or feta, but there goes the vegan-ness.

2) Thinly slice button mushrooms; toss with finely chopped carrots and celery and mix with mung bean sprouts. Finish with peanut or olive oil, sherry vinegar, a little soy sauce and minced ginger. (This is a super vinaigrette, by the way.)

3) Dust shrimp with chili powder. Sauté in butter or oil (or a combination) with fresh corn kernels and flavorful cooking greens (bok choy is good, as is watercress). Add halved cherry tomatoes and lime juice at the last minute.



Also, though I haven't been able to blog much substance recently, Mr. Davi Barker is discussing issues ranging from "Compulsion in Religion" to whether or not "White people" actually convert to Islam over at the Examiner.

1 comment:

Sarah Al-Habib said...

mmm yum!

Can you ship me some please? :)